Grains Impact Whisky Flavor

Cocktail Recipes, Industry | | View Counts (4094) |Return|

The creation of whisky is a beautiful combination of both art and science. When sampling whiskies, you will notice that not one is the same. This is because the distilling process is a craft, one that is customized to your liking. Part of the crafting process is making the flavors compliment you. This is exactly why there are so many different categories of whisky. Take a look and see how the grains impact the flavor of the whisky and that a high quality grain supplier can be your ticket to producing your favorite kind of whisky.

 

wheat-336661_640-300...

 

Grains make all the Difference

Rye Whisky
Rye whisky requires at least 51% of the ingredients be rye in the whisky making process. Adding the distinct flavor that may be described as spicy to the whisky. The rest of the 49% can be any combo of grains such as corn, wheat, and malted rye and barley. Allowing for a variety of flavors within the rye whisky category.

Corn Whisky
This is the type of whisky that is more commonly known as bourbon. It has a distinct name because it is produced from a minimum of 51% corn. These corn whiskeys also include a combination of rye or barley, just in smaller doses. The flavor that is imparted from the corn is a noticeably sweeter taste compared to the heavily rye whisky variations.

Barley Whisky
The most famous for barley whisky is made in Scotland. Generally you will hear this referred to as Scotch, though it is a whisky all the same. A scotch is primarily made from malted barley. Then in order to follow the strict rules of being called a Scotch, it must be aged and distilled entirely in Scotland. The wooden barrel that the Scotch whisky is aged in also has an impact on the final taste. There are sweet-woody notes that sing from a glass of Scotch that set itself apart.

Since the definition of whisky is a spirit that is distilled from a malted grain, rye, corn and barley all fit into the category. Getting the flavor of whisky you desire will be determined in a large part of which grain you use as your primary base. Going for the strong rye flavor or the lighter, sweeter corn based spirits. No matter which route you take, you can be sure that there is a high quality grain supplier with the grains you need to produce the whisky of your liking.

Related

How Does Climate Impact Bourbon Production?

How Does Climate Impact Bourbon Production?

When it comes to purchasing grain from a rye grain supplier, climate is one of many factors that pla...

Read More >
Brooks Grain to Exhibit at ADI Craft Spirits Exposition

Brooks Grain to Exhibit at ADI Craft Spirits Exposition

Brooks Grain is proud to announce its participation in the upcoming ADI Craft Spirits Conference and...

Read More >
Now That It’s National Bourbon Heritage Month, Let’s Celebrate!

Now That It’s National Bourbon Heritage Month, Let’s Celebrate!

In case you didn’t know, by an act of Congress in 2007, September was declared National Bourbo...

Read More >
Bourbo-geddon? Whiskey Demand at All-Time High

Bourbo-geddon? Whiskey Demand at All-Time High

We believe it is important to be on top of Bourbon inventory levels. This article sheds some light o...

Read More >
Brooks Grain Whiskey Business: A Snapshot of Prohibition

Brooks Grain Whiskey Business: A Snapshot of Prohibition

The Volstead Act and Prohibition – Brooks Grain Whiskey BusinessOne of the more colorful, and ...

Read More >
Brooks Grain is Sponsoring Grains & Grits Festival

Brooks Grain is Sponsoring Grains & Grits Festival

Brooks Grain is sponsoring the Townsend Grains & Grits Festival!The event is taking place on Nov...

Read More >